Posted on 5/13/2022
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle—one of our favorite mantras here on the Emerald Coast! That’s because we care about our environment and community. We want to keep our gorgeous beaches, state parks, and properties clean for everybody to enjoy. And, as guests, you all help us do just that!
In Destin, Waste Management provides curbside recycling pickup for homes. Some condos also have their own recycling bins, as well. However, the local government doesn’t offer curbside recycling services in South Walton. Instead, that is performed by private companies. Depending on where you’re staying for vacation, this means you may have convenient access to recycling right at your vacation home or condo. But, to ensure all residents and visitors are able to do their part to reduce, reuse, and recycle, there are several recycling trailers throughout Destin and South Walton for your use.
Check out these recycling drop-off locations when you visit Destin and South Walton.
- Baytowne (Administration Dr., Miramar Beach)—Located north of Emerald Coast Parkway near the Village of Baytowne Wharf, this recycle location is perfect for those staying in Destin and Miramar Beach. You will find it at the Sandestin northeast gate.
- Topsail Preserve State Park (7525 W Co Hwy 30A, Santa Rosa Beach)—Situated near the Topsail State Park entrance, this recycle location is conveniently located between Miramar Beach and Scenic Highway 30A in South Walton. If you’re visiting the park for the day, be sure to grab your recyclables and take them with you for drop-off.
- Moll Dr./Highway 98 (42 Moll Dr., Santa Rosa Beach)—This recycle trailer is on the southern side of Highway 98 and a couple of miles north of the Gulf Place Towne Center and the Ed Walline Beach access on 30A. This site serves all vacationers staying in South Walton and is easily accessible.
- South Walton Courthouse Complex (31 Coastal Centre Blvd, Santa Rosa Beach)—The South Walton Courthouse Complex on Highway 331 a great spot to drop off recycling after vacation. You will find the trailer off the roundabout in the southwest corner near the Walton Area Chamber.
- Emerald Coast Middle School (4019 US Hwy 98, Santa Rosa Beach)—Emerald Coast Middle School is located north of Highway 98 near Eden Gardens State Park and Point Washington State Forest. A recycling station here provides a convenient spot to drop off your recyclable goods.
- Walton Sports Complex (240 M.C. Davis Blvd, Santa Rosa Beach)—To the north of Highway 98 is the Walton Sports Complex. Because it’s only a short distance from Scenic Highway 30A, you can easily recycle your vacation papers, plastics, and cardboard here.
- Alys Beach (30 Castle Harbour Dr., Alys Beach)—Nestled in the heart of Alys Beach, there’s a recycle trailer for use by locals and vacationers. Easy to drop off your recyclable materials throughout your trip and once you leave!
- Rosemary Beach (107 North Winston Lane, Rosemary Beach)—Located on the eastern edge of 30a, this trailer is easily accessed by visitors of Rosemary Beach, Inlet Beach, and the rest of South Walton. It’s near the Rosemary Fitness Center and across the street from 30Avenue.
When using these recycling stations, be sure to recycle only accepted materials. Trailers will indicate what items are acceptable. Cardboard Only Trailers are for clean, flattened cardboard. Regular Recycle Trailers are for a mix of recyclable materials, including plastic bottles, aluminum cans, and paper. There are also trailers with cardboard bins that accept all of these items. Glass is not accepted as recyclable in Walton County. If you dump non-recyclable materials into the trailers, it may contaminate the whole load. In fact, a Destin recycle trailer was removed in 2019 due to individuals misusing the container and dumping non-recyclable items.
Let’s respect our community and beach environment by recycling appropriately! When everyone recycles and does their part to keep the beaches clean, we can all enjoy this gorgeous paradise for years and years to come!